My Shopping List
Artichoke with Confetti Brie Sauce
Courtesy of California Artichoke Advisory Board
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 10 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 4 large artichokes
+ 1/4 c. minced onion
+ 2 Tbsp. olive oil
+ 1/4 c. dry white wine
+ 1 c. milk
+ 2 tsp. cornstarch
+ 5 oz. Brie cheese, rind removed and cheese cubed
+ 1/4 c. red pepper, chopped
+ 1 Tbsp. capers
What to do:
1. Pull off lower, outer petals of artichokes; cut off top third of artichokes. Cut stems to one inch or less. Stand prepared artichokes in deep saucepan or pot with 3" boiling salted water. (If desired, oil, lemon juice and seasonings can be added to cooking water.) Cover and boil gently 25 to 40 min. depending on size or until petal near center pulls out easily. Stand artichoke upside down to drain.
2. Saute onion in oil until translucent; stir in wine and heat 1 min.
3. Combine milk and cornstarch; stir into wine mixture and cook two min. or until thickened.
4. Stir in cheese one cube at a time over low heat until smooth. Stir in red peppers and capers.
5. Spoon 1/4 of cheese mixture onto each serving plate; arrange artichoke in center.
TO MICROWAVE ARTICHOKES: Prepare artichokes as directed above; place in deep microwave-safe cup or bowl. Add 1 c. water; cover and microwave at HIGH (100%) 12-15 min. Give dish a quarter-turn halfway through cooking time. Let stand 5 min. When done, petal near center will pull out easily.
Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir